Caribbean in 1970s

Moderator: BKirkham

Caribbean in 1970s

Postby EAL0739 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:46 pm

Presenting in real photo and in screenshots showing MWCR in late 1970s

Yes Cayman Airways did have mighty long haul and long range DC-8s that they used for flights from MWCR to Minnesota (do not know why Minnesota), Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Newark, and Miami.

Mind blowing retro livery on 727-200

Presenting Cayman Airways DC-8-51 in exciting action via nice flight from MDSD Las Américas International Airport located in Punta Caucedo near Santo Domingo and Boca Chica in the Dominican Republic to MKJS Sangster International Airport 3 miles east of Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Being pushed back from gate

Starting engines

Taxiing to short of runway 17 while a plane was on final approach to the same runway during busy VATCAR event

Entering into runway 17 for take off via LECKY departure

Airborne on climb to FL360

Making right turn toward LECKY during climb

Now heading to intercept LECKY to start cruising along UG633

Still climbing climbing to FL360

Climbing through high clouds at FL220

Now cruising at FL360 along UG633

Passing waters of Bahia de Neiba while approaching shores of Barahona, Dominican Republic

Passing capital of Port-au-Prince of Haiti

Leaving the capital city and its port

Cruising above waters of Banc de Rochelois off northern Haiti

Approaching Jamaica's northern shores with background view of 7,400 ft tall Blue Mountains

Descending along Jamaica's northern shores

Passing MKNG Negril Aerodrome located 4.3 miles north of Negril Point in Negril in western Jamaica.

Wing view of Jamaican shores

Passing airport of destination to get ready for left 180 degree turn to start final approach to runway 07

Starting left 180 degree turn toward runway

On final runway approach

Seconds before touchdown

TOUCHDOWN

Look at cool reverse thrusters era 1970 style!!!

Exiting from runway 07 into taxiway B to taxi to gate

Later next extremely early morning getting ready for flight from MKJS to freezing Minnesota

Starting engines

Airborne!!!

Retracting landing gears

Beautiful sunrise

Thank you for viewing!!! Stay tuned for next exciting flight!!!

Regards,

Aharon [/b]
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan
EAL0739

Re: Caribbean in 1970s

Postby Dave Reed » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:26 pm

I used to fly out of Grand Cayman. From 1985-1986 I was the only charter pilot in the Cayman's. I flew one of three airplanes that we owned- a pair of 1954 Aero Commander 560's, and a Turbo Commander 681. While I was there, Cayman Airways flew the B727's. Their bread and butter routes were Miami and Houston. They also did seasonal charters from many different cities, and Minneapolis was a a great place to fly to the Cayman Islands from in the winter. They owned one DC8, N8064U. First flown by United Airlines, Cayman Airways leased it in 1984 for one year. It then went to Faucett-Peru and got scrapped in 1988.
Cayman Airway pilots were excellent. They got their fuel in Miami because it was so expensive in Grand Cayman, so they were always landing in GC at or near maximum landing weight. With the associated higher landing speeds, they were marvels at planting it on in the same spot every time.
When they first flew the 727 to nearby Cayman Brac, two interesting things happened. The end of the runway is very close to the water, separated only by a small beach. On their first landing there with the 727, they actually touched down on the beach, bounced, then touched down on the runway. Everyone thought they'd just messed up the airplane, but lo and behold, not a scratch. After deplaning the passengers out the tail, they started up. Back then the terminal was very small, single story made of wood. The tower was a small room with four large windows on top of the building. The jet started up, turned, and promptly blew the control tower right off the building with the jet blast. I saw pictures. Wood was all over the parking lot.

Here is a picture of one of the 560's. You can see two VOR heads, but only one was installed. It also had an NDB. That was it. The other airplane had a single VOR. No GPS back then! No working autopilot either. We flew to Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Cancun, Jamaica, Honduras, Belize, Panama and Miami. The boss got in trouble with the US DEA and they seized the Turbo Commander in Miami one day. That was the end of iced tea in a hammock under the palm trees! For more on my adventures in the Cayman's, visit my blog Cockpit Chronicles (there's a link on the home page).
Dave Reed
Site Admin

Postby EAL0739 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Dave,

That is MOST AMAZING HISTORY FACTS!!! FANTASTIC EXPLANATIONS about Cayman Island aviation!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Amazed me about what happened at MWCB's control tower!

Thanks for letting me know about history of Cayman Islands aviation.

Regards,

Aharon
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan
EAL0739

Postby Dave Reed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Say, is it just me or are a bunch of your photos not displayed?
Dave Reed
Site Admin

Postby EAL0739 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Dave Reed wrote:Say, is it just me or are a bunch of your photos not displayed?

There should be one real photograph and 46 FSX screenshots in this thread.

Try pressing F5 button to see all of those, please.

Regards,

Aharon
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan
EAL0739

Postby PAA0691 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:00 am

WOW! Amazing story!!! Hope there were no injuries at the tower...
Thanks for the photo of the cockpit! that's the way I love to fly in the sim: without Automatic Pilot and with old instruments. No glass cockpit or such...
PAA0691

Return to Screen Shots