Correct Hong Kong airport question

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: BKirkham

Correct Hong Kong airport question

Postby TWA704 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 pm

I was looking at all the old BOAC flights (747 in particular) and many go through Hong Kong - VHHH. But should these actually be VHHX - Kai Tek?
TWA704

Re: Correct Hong Kong airport question

Postby David Reed » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 pm

You are correct. The problem is that FSX and FS2004 use VHHH. You can get a scenery add-on for Kai Tek. You can also create your own Kai Tek if you have the right software. That’s what I did. It’s a work in progress, but I’ll try to get some pics soon.

Side Trivia: friend of mine used to fly 747s for Evergreen. One day they were taxiing out at Kai Tek when a JAL 747 turned final, over shot the centerline and rolled out lined up with the taxiway, the same taxiway my friend was on. He said, “Suddenly you just knew he was going to hit you and there wasn’t anything you could do about it. We all just sat there speechless. Suddenly a lot of exhaust smoke came ouring out as they went to full power and pitched up. We actually ducked in our seats, he came that close. How he never hit us is beyond me. We thought for sure he’d at least hit the tail. God was looking out for us that day!”
David Reed
Site Admin

Postby TWA704 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:49 pm

Ah ok cool. So I guess if we just put VHHX in the comments then the pires will be accepted?
TWA704

Postby PAA0691 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 am

Dave Reed wrote:Side Trivia: friend of mine used to fly 747s for Evergreen. One day they were taxiing out at Kai Tek when a JAL 747 turned final, over shot the centerline and rolled out lined up with the taxiway, the same taxiway my friend was on. He said, “Suddenly you just knew he was going to hit you and there wasn’t anything you could do about it. We all just sat there speechless. Suddenly a lot of exhaust smoke came ouring out as they went to full power and pitched up. We actually ducked in our seats, he came that close. How he never hit us is beyond me. We thought for sure he’d at least hit the tail. God was looking out for us that day!”

MY-GOD-NESS. :shock: :shock: :shock:
PAA0691

Postby EAL0739 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:53 am

TWA704 wrote:Ah ok cool. So I guess if we just put VHHX in the comments then the pires will be accepted?

Correct!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan
EAL0739

Postby David Reed » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:20 pm

I looked up some old approach plates for Kai Tek. The approach is basically an ILS with a 40 deg offset. To get that I installed a tiny, unmarked dirt runway by the airport, oriented to 090-270. Then I pushed the glideslope antenna back a good ways. Flew several approaches, adjusting the glideslope position so that at 500’ I was on the VASI and in a good position to make the big turn. Had to delete one scenery building because on short final, on the VASI and centerline, I’d miss it by maybe five feet! Then I had to add the tower, ground, etc because they were all gone. Just adding details now
David Reed
Site Admin

Return to General Topics