Description of your first forum.

Moderator: BKirkham

Postby David Reed » Thu May 02, 2019 5:14 pm

For 2019 we have a good solid plan in place.

We won’t be adding very many new airlines. We have 105 right now, I think that’s enough for now.

We will be making improvements to those 105 airlines in two ways.

One is by adding more aircraft to their fleet if needed. We want to be sure our airlines aren’t limited to a few specific types. Two I can think of right now are Caravelles and Viscounts (thanks HD for pointing that out).

The other is by ensuring there are plenty of flights to choose from. For example, we have only two flights from LGA for Eastern’s Electra II. I’m pretty sure they did more than that.

Henry Douglas has joined our operations team. He’s going to be working on European schedules to improve their quality. This requires a lot of research and hard work, so kudos to Capt Douglas for volunteering!

As always, if you notice something amiss in the schedules, etc, drop us an email and we’ll get it corrected. You can’t have over 14,000 flights without there being a few errors.
David Reed
Site Admin

Re: 2019

Postby EAL0739 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:21 am

David Reed wrote:Henry Douglas is going to be working on European schedules to improve their quality.

Surprised me that HAG schedule's' quality needs to be improved considering the fact I see nothing wrong with impressive extensive flights in the HAG schedule database just like you say you have 105 airlines along with hundreds of thousands of flights.

David Reed wrote:As always, if you notice something amiss in the schedules, etc, drop us an email

Well how about Israeli historic routes out of Tel Aviv to Israeli cities and neighboring countries such as Turkey, Cyprus, Greece, and Italy??? Always want to fly EL AL 737-200s, 747-100s/200s, and 707s as well as Arkia 707s, 727s, 737-200s, and BAC 1-11s. Those types of aircrafts were used for those mentioned routes.

David Reed wrote:drop us an email

Which email address please?
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan

EAL0739

Postby David Reed » Fri May 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Use the "Contact us" tab on the homepage.

Local Israeli flights would mean adding another airline, something I said I don't want to do.
David Reed
Site Admin

Postby EAL0739 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:48 pm

David Reed wrote:Local Israeli flights would mean adding another airline, something I said I don't want to do.

Ahhh my apologies I did read that you wanted to stop adding airlines. Sorry that I forgot about that.

Anyway, good luck to you and your VA in development and growth for second half of year 2019.

Regards,

Aharon
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan

EAL0739

Postby PAA0691 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:11 am

David Reed wrote:Henry Douglas has joined our operations team. He’s going to be working on European schedules to improve their quality. This requires a lot of research and hard work, so kudos to Capt Douglas for volunteering!

Thanks Capt. Douglas for your time and service!
PAA0691

Postby EAL0739 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:29 am

David Reed wrote:As always, if you notice something amiss in the schedules, etc, drop us an email and we’ll get it corrected..

How about few historic jet flights to YBHM Great Barrier Reef Airport also known as Hamilton Island Airport, please?

Also EL AL and Arkia airlines too please from Israel to Greece and its islands and also Italy and Turkey please (all one or 2 hour flights) using all kinds of historic jet planes.

Thanks,

Aharon
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan

EAL0739

Postby LGL0755 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm

It is only natural that my maiden post in this forum be right here.

Did anyone think that we would do as much as we've done, in just a few short months? HAG has been almost a blank canvas for me to fill in the details of so many rich classic airline traditions. Thanks, Dave. It is now rather amusing to see some of the hitherto unannounced "Easter eggs" getting discovered by the pilot population, a phenomenon that will continue as the Northern Hemisphere transitions into winter, and more pilots are indoors and flying more often. There will be more gems coming, by the time 2020 arrives.

THE FRENCH CONNECTION
Perhaps my biggest project to have minimal fanfare thus far is what has been done with the French carriers. I was not content with merely bringing Air France up to par with the other airlines that have had schedule overhauls. Air Inter and AOM were also added, with a view towards them being complimentary to Air France. This is very similar to how the British carriers were approached. The HAG versions of BOAC, BEA and BCal are all complimentary to each other.

Speaking of British stuff, part of that overhaul was bringing in a few BOAC "babies," namely Kuwait and Malayan Airways, and in particular, their Comet services. As far as HAG now being the premier VA for flying the De Havilland Comet family, I can proudly say, "mission accomplished."

A similar thorough approach was taken with the Caravelle family, and we're not quite done, there. What IS already available covers the entire range of the Caravelle family. My special emphasis was on the later types, the 6R and 10R, which had Pratt & Whitney engines, updated cockpits, and (Tim Allen grunt time) more power. If you have not enjoyed an Austrian, Luxair, Air Inter or UTA Caravelle flight, you are in for a treat. My own FSX setup features a few cockpit tweaks, to make the experience as smooth as possible, regardless of one's piloting skill. If anyone is interested i acquiring these tweaks, just message me here, and we can get started on that.

TURBOPROP CLASSICS
The large, 4-engine turboprop did not have too long of a life as an airline's top type, with the jets coming in so soon after their heyday, but HAG is the premier VA for such types. There are ongoing efforts involving the beloved L-188 Electra, but we have ever-so-quietly become the best VA for fans of the Whispering Giant. BOAC, Canadian Pacific, Cubana and Aeronaves de Mexico Britannias are all available for your flying pleasure. I did not stop there, however. We are undoubtedly the best English-language VA for the IL-18. Aeroflot and LOT were already available, with this type, but I added CSA, Cubana, Interflug and EgyptAir, a carrier with very special significance to me. I flew HECA-LGAT on their IL-18, in 1973. Their AN-24B remains the only type that I have been aboard as a passenger without representation in my FSX hangar, because it does not exist to my knowledge. My memory of the "F-27ski" is vivid: Hot August night in Luxor, waiting 15 minutes at the runway threshold, warming the engines (as if they needed it in the triple digit Farenheit heat), while a Mirage pilot did runs up and down the runway. Little did I know that I was watching preparations for the Yom Kippur War, which came a few months later. I have done an EgyptAir paint for the Guinart model, and know of multiple options for making the panel "Western/English-friendly." The paint has never been released publicly, so I would again invite a private message, if one is interested in acquiring the panel tweaks, the paint, or both.

In addition to the IL-18, I also threw in a handful of Tupolev Tu-114 services from 1967-68, when the type was about to be superseded by the IL-62. The venerable freeware Samdim Tu-114 does have a "Western/English-friendly" autopilot window as standard equipment, and is FS9/FSX-compatible.

This brings me to the Vickers Viscount. With what we already had going on, Aloha, Air France, Austrian and Continental were additions to the mix. There remains the possibility of doing more, at some point in the future, although we do have a lot of options, already. BEA got their Viscount flights doubled. I tend to favor carriers for which there are easily available liveries for freeware that works in more than one simulator. In the cases of the Viscount and the Britannia, these would be the JBK offerings.

One last quad turboprop type got some love from me, as well; the CL-44. Loftleidir of 1968 is an Easter egg to be discovered. As this type may be difficult to source, due to its' rarity, I again encourage PM contact, for those looking for the best setup possible.

A VISION FOR THE FUTURE
With all of the schedule updates, it may just be a matter of time before pilots start developing regional and round-the-world tours of their own. It is already possible at the carrier level, and type level, depending on specifics. If anyone enjoys creating tours and missions, there might be an avenue of creativity for you, here. Anyone who may be ex-Phoenix VA will certainly understand where that could go, as I designed various missions during my tenure, there.

Thanks everyone, for your indulgence, your patience, and your appreciation. As I am fond of telling Dave in our e-mail exchanges, there is always a method to my madness, and I do enjoy the delayed gratification of seeing it "click" above YOUR eyebrows.

Three green, and keep the dirty side down.
Chief Pilot, Historical Airline Group
LGL0755

Postby EAL0739 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Shalom famous Henry!!!

Thank you for all your hard work helping David Reed to elevate the HAG VA to highest standards in unimaginable scale with zillions of your new routes and new airlines and you finally brought EL AL the airline of my native country to HAG VA!!! Thank you for that!

I hope you would permit HAG pilots to give you advice or tip or suggestion for routes.

I am impressed by your improvements you made to Finnair schedule and I hope that when you have chance, you would add more routes to EFRO Romaniev airport from various Nordic countries as you know that hundreds of thousands of Vatsim pilots always fly on Vatsim the flights to EFRO on Novembers, Decembers, and Januarys for obvious reason (Christmas and Chanukah holidays).

I also do hope that you would hopefully before the coming Rosh Hashanah 2019 add EL AL 737-200 routes between LLBG and LLET Eliat as well as EL AL 707/747 routes between LLBG and Greece's Rhodes island as well as between LLBG and Greece's Herikon.

Looking forward to more excitement in the coming year 2020 that you and David have been hinting about! Got to return from summer vacation and resume flying for the HAG VA!!

Meanwhile please enjoy my screenshots in the HAG forums' screenshot subforum!!
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan

EAL0739

Postby LGL0755 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:51 pm

It is not that simple. We can only offer flights for which we have reliable timetable information available, and sufficient pilot interest. Finnair and El Al are both likely in their final HAG form, for these reasons. Simply put, there is no El Al timetable with B737 services to the eastern Med available online. Similarly, there are no Finnair complete timetables easily found beyond 1971, and we would be looking at CV440 flights to the Finnish Arctic, if at all. I had B727 ambitions for Mexicana, but ran into Comet redundancy, and no new destinations or departure times to add in. Aeronaves de Mexico has considerable expansion potential, but is strictly Britannia for now. We are not to the point of having to rifle through mid-1980's OAG fragments, or deconstructing AI plans, due to the wealth of what is in an easier format to work with, and readily available. I have a considerable personal archive of material beyond what may be found at Airline Timetable Images, or Departed Flights, and it is being put to use within HAG, within acceptable and reasonable limitations. The massive sizes of Continental, KLM and Varig are due to such extra material, along with the doubling of our Concorde flights (both BA and AF).

CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE: I only did the El Al Britannias; Dave did the Boeing jets. Since a lot of my additional material was already in digital form, I have been able to provide Dave with what would be proper for HAG, and let him work as he sees fit with it. The recent 747 and DC-10 updates are a direct result of this. Dave largely stays with American carriers, whereas I have been more of the globetrotter, with the updates, and new carriers. There is considerable back and forth, because we want the right things, with minimal redundancy, but maximum variety. It can be a delicate dance, at times. Dave has developed a good understanding of the method to my madness, and vice versa.

A lot has been accomplished in short time, because of this understanding, but we want to avoid "burnout," which can kill motivation and participation. Time management thus figures into what we do, as well. I still take the time to fly, and live my life away from the world of flight simulation. While I am not one to give away secrets, I can tell you that there are a few more things already "in the can," like filmmakers say. We are waiting for the time of year when flights to the areas involved become more popular. Enough said, there.

Enjoy what HAG is. Lament not what it isn't.
Chief Pilot, Historical Airline Group
LGL0755

Postby EAL0739 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Henry,

It is not problem and I understand!!!! Thanks for great explanations and once again, thanks to you and David Reed for adding tons of new routes and new airlines to the HAG virtual airline that I as well as other VA pilots would enjoy recreating historic jet airline flights!!

Whatever is not in HAG schedule database can be done via HAG's recently introduced charter flights using DC-9s with hope that David Reed would in the future be adding 727s and 737-200s to the fleet of charter flights to solve the problem of not seeing desired real world historic jet flights in the HAG schedule database. If not, it is NOT problem and DC-9s are sufficient for charter flights.

Regards,

Aharon
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan

EAL0739

Return to General Topics