A bit o' pain

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: BKirkham

A bit o' pain

Postby David Reed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:34 pm

What an eventful weekend. Got home Saturday afternoon, went to our astronomy club meeting Saturday evening. Started not feeling well, left early. By 11pm I am in excruciating pain from a kidney stone (my third). Off to the ER. The hospital finally gets the pain to stop (morphine) and I go home at 4am. Typical for me, once the pain stops the kidney stone issue goes away for 3-4 years. Two hours after I get home I find I'm quite constipated, and my butt hurts. Sunday afternoon the wife took a look at my bum and we're back at the ER again. I have never had so many good looking nurses and doctors looking at my ass. They decide it's not an ordinary case of hemorrhoids, this is more critical and immediate surgery is called for. Oh, by the way they said, it's kinda painful. So I get admitted. The pain in my butt continues, so no sleep is happening. I spend a very painful night in the hospital.

The next morning the surgeon comes in again with another surgeon. In short order I'm wheeled down to the Operating Room, and wake up an hour later in the recovery room (my nice room upstairs). A little painful?! I have never, in my entire life, ever experienced anything as painful as that. In fact, painful seems like much too mild of a word. A hot knife being twisted in my arse, kinda like that. The same pretty nurses give me all the pain medication they can, nothing works, the surgeons come back, more meds are tried, I'm literally sobbing in pain (and I never usually cry). The wife is sobbing, the nurses are crying because they can't control it. Eventually they give me something that puts me under so I could at least sleep (hadn't slept but one hour all weekend). The pain was excruciating. I was only out for a short time, the pain woke me up again, and it continued. Finally, Monday evening it abated somewhat, and today I got released, still in some discomfort but feeling much better.

The surgeons removed three large hemorrhoids. I pray that none of you guys ever have to go through that yourselves. The only good thing was all the pretty nurses. Even the surgeons were women and good looking. Just what you don't want looking at your giant, oversized hemorrhoids. I'm home for a week now, so I'll be able to do some HAG flying. Fly on brothers!

David Reed
Site Admin

Re: A bit o' pain

Postby EAL0739 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:32 am

Sorry to hear that and wishing you most comfy and speedy recovery. Get well!!! Unless your doctors tell me I am wrong, I think long distance truck driving with lots of bouncing aggravated and woke up your medical condition that needed emergency surgery to cure it.

Regards,

Aharon
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan
EAL0739

Postby PAA0691 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 am

OUCH! I feel pain just reading your post. Get well Dave! and fly high and with good winds! you deserve some free time after what you endure...
PAA0691

Postby David Reed » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:44 am

My first goal is to go to Amazon and buy a really, really soft pillow for my truck seat!

Day One of recovery. I woke up after watching the St Louis Blues (where I live) win the Stanley Cup in NHL Hockey. GO BLUES!! Pretty amazing game! Downtown, where the Blues usually play, they had it open, seats only $20 each. Sold out in two hours. Inside, on the several different jumbo screens, they showed the game, it was a big party! Down the street, at Busch Stadium (where the St Louis Cardinals play), they were also open, seats $20 each, sold out. Another huge party! Outside both stadiums, huge street party! So to watch the Blues win in such an exciting game was a major event that really brought everyone in this town together!

But I digress.

I wake up, see the wife off to work. Make a bagel and coffee. Clean the kitchen a bit. Butt hurting again, so I think I'll try this pain med we got. Hmm, label says Oxycodon. Whoa, I've seen that on Cops. Powerful stuff. So I take one, make a second cup of coffee, go to my favorite spot, my desk with my big soft chair and my computer. Start up flight sim. You know, when all you do is manage the site because you don't have time to fly a trip, you forget just how much fun it is! I decide to fly a trip of the week, Southern Airways DC9 from Atlanta to New Orleans via Huntsville. Maybe it's the Oxy working here, but this is a blast! I do it "old school", VOR to VOR. This really takes your mind off of the pain. This is so cool...

David Reed
Site Admin

Postby EAL0739 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Flight simming is best medicine for comfy and smooth recovery after surgery!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Regards,

EAL0739 Aharon Dayan
EAL0739

Postby David Reed » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:14 pm

You betcha!
David Reed
Site Admin

Postby hermankreimes » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:01 am

Glad to hear that you are slowly recovering from the butt surgery,

Thank you all for all the new aircraft and route additions recently.

Herman
hermankreimes

Postby David Reed » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:14 pm

It got worse before it got better. During recover we became concerned due to the lack of any bowel movement in the past week. Finally, a week after the surgery, I found myself face down on the floor at home in intense pain. The ambulance was called, and I spent the next eight hours at the Emergency Room with a great group of dedicated nurses. Part of the pain was the kidney stone, the other part was the backed up digestive system. Suddenly the stone started breaking up and I found I could urinate again, though with much pain as I passed the chips. While this was going on, they did a CT scan and found the digestive tract at a complete standstill. Various medications were used to get things moving, but nothing worked. I eventually drank a gallon of this (yuck) liquid that is supposed to be the end game for freeing things up. Nothing. The doctors were befuddled. I was still in a lot of pain. Last resort before surgery was an enema. Yes, it was every bit as disgusting and messy as you can imagine. Ran to the toilet after it was done and POW! A baby boy came out of my butt! Been home a few days now, using lots of laxatives to try and keep things moving along. It had better, I'm slated to go back to work next Tuesday. Meanwhile I have been working on schedules with Henry Douglas.

Getting old sucks.....
David Reed
Site Admin

Return to General Topics